Picking the best workstation motherboard is critical since the motherboard is the heart of your build; it’s the part that makes all the other components work together efficiently.
A workstation needs to have high-end components if you want it to perform as you want, especially that workstations are used in some very demanding applications.
In this guide, we’ll help you pick the greatest motherboards for your workstation based on their features, pros, and cons, so stick around.
Best Motherboard for Workstation (Our Review)
1. ASUS AMD AM4 Pro WS X570-Ace
The ASUS AM4 Pro X570 is explicitly made for workstation builds. It boasts an AM4 Socket that supports AMD’s latest Zen and Excavator microarchitectures for uncompromising workstation performance.
For starters, two M.2 slots enable you to install NVMe SSDs for ultra-fast data transfer speeds. The motherboard also has three type M sockets and an NVMe U.2 slot. Moreover, the X570 supports DDR4 ECC memory with four DIMM slots.
With multi-way graphics support, the X570 allows you to install a two-way SLI or three-way Crossfire GPU arrangements with three PCIe 4.0 x 16 slots for the ultimate graphics experience. It also has the ASUS VGA holder to prevent bowing and bending.
Furthermore, the X570 has a metal-fin-array VRM heatsink that improves heat dissipation and prevents throttling. It’s also equipped with a Procool II connector that maximizes the motherboard’s endurance.
The ASUS Control Center gives you full control over the dual GbE LAN chip with out-of-band management to help you save on subscription costs. When it comes to ports, the X570 is equipped with 2 USB 3.2 Gen1 ports and 5 USB 3.2 Type A and Type C ports.
- Two M.2 slots, one U.2 slot, and three M-type slots
- Multi-way graphics support with 3 PCIe x 16 slots and VGA holder
- Supports USB Type A and Type C
- VRM heatsink with metal fin array design
- ASUS Control Center with dual GbE LAN
- AM4 Socket accommodates the latest AMD processors
- Supports USB Type C for fast data transfer
- Accommodates high-speed NVMe SSDs
- Excellent heat dissipation capabilities with VRM heatsink and Procool II connector
- Ultra-fast connectivity choices
- No onboard Wi-Fi connectivity
- A bit pricey
2. MSI Performance X470 Gaming Plus
The MSI Performance X470 is one of the most affordable workstation motherboards you can get. It’s also a great choice for gamers.
With a Socket AM4, the X470 supports a wide range of modern AMD processors, including AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Generation, Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics, Athlon with Radeon Vega Graphics, AMD A-series, and Athlon X4 processors.
Is it among the greatest X470 motherboards? Check it out!
The X470 supports multi-way graphics with Steel Armor PCI-E Slots that accommodate AMD Crossfire GPU setups. Moreover, it’s compatible with DDR4 Memory, and you can overclock it to boost its performance.
One remarkable feature of the X470 is that it’s VR ready (making it belong among the greatest motherboards for VR), which automatically optimizes your system’s settings to ensure the best possible VR performance. Another cool touch is the Mystic RGB light that allows you to customize your motherboard’s style using seven different colors.
Further, MSI’s Core Boost technology utilizes an optimized power design, allowing the system to use more cores to improve performance.
Another feature that makes this motherboard stand out from the crowd is its highly-acclaimed Click BIOS 5 with high-resolution scalable font, search function, and favorites. Additionally, LAN gamers will certainly like this motherboard’s gaming-optimized LAN chip with LAN Protect, low latency, and efficient bandwidth management but make sure to check other greatest gaming motherboards.
The Audio Boost technology provides studio-quality sound performance to make your gaming experience more immersive than ever. Not to mention, with the Turbo M.2 slots and Turbo USB 3.1 Gen 2, you can enjoy super-fast data transfer speeds.
- AMD AM4 sockets
- Multi-way graphics with Steel Armour PCIe slots
- DDR4 memory slots with overclocking capabilities
- Core Boost and Audio Boost technologies
- Click BIOS 5 with search function
- Gaming-optimized LAN with low latency
- Accommodates the latest AMD processors
- Supports multi-GPU AMD Crossfire setups
- Optimized for VR performance
- Mystic RGB light with seven colors
- No built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
3. MSI Creator TRX40 Motherboard
If you’re looking for a premium motherboard for your workstation, The MSI Creator TRX40 is a total beast that’ll give you remarkable performance. Designed specially to accommodate AMD’s 3rd Gen Ryzen Threadripper processors, the TRX40 is capable of delivering outstanding performance and fast processing speeds for the most demanding tasks.
With a 16-phase 70A digital power componentry on an efficient PCB layout and extended heatsink, the motherboard can deliver consistent performance. Not to mention, it has nine PWM fan headers and three dedicated thermal sensors to keep your system’s temperature under control.
Furthermore, it’s equipped with seven Lightning Gen4 M.2 slots with M.2 XPANDER-AERO Gen4 so that you can add four extra Lightning Gen4 M.2 slots. Besides, you get 6 SATA 6Gb/s slots, allowing you to install high-capacity HDDs. High-quality audio performance is also guaranteed with HD audio connectors.
Being 4x faster than USB 3.2 Gen1, the ultra-fast Lightning USB 20G allows you to move large files in the blink of an eye. It also supports USB 3.2 Gen2 and Gen1. We like the fact that this motherboard is equipped with an onboard Wi-Fi 6 chip as well.
- Extended ATX Form factor with 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPUs compatibility
- Intel Gigabit LAN + 10G LAN + Intel Wi-Fi 6
- Seven lighting Gen4 M.2 slots + M.2 XPANDER-AERO Gen4
- USB Lightning Type C and Type A support
- Nine PWM fans and three thermal sensors
- Excellent cooling system with extended heatsink
- Built-in Intel Wi-Fi 6 chip
- Ultra-fast Lightning USB 20G
- Compatible with high-speed SSDs with M.2 slots
- Excellent audio quality
- High price tag
4. ASUS Pro WS W480 ACE LGA1200
The ASUS Pro WS W480 ACE is an affordable workstation motherboard that promises to deliver a decent performance without breaking the bank.
For starters, this motherboard is capable of accommodating the latest 10th Gen Intel Core processors, including the latest high-end Intel Xeon W-series. This ensures a blazing-fast performance for your workstation.
Furthermore, It flaunts 12+2 VRM power stages with multi-GPU support and improved memory frequency, ensuring consistent, trouble-free performance. Moreover, it features dual PCIe NVMe M.2 slots that let you install SSDs for fast data transfer.
The ASUS Control Center Express software makes it easier to control your IT management and monitoring. Additionally, the RTL8117 management controller gives you access to system-wide hardware components, making maintaining the system much simpler and easier.
The W480 is equipped with dual Thunderbolt 3 Type-C ports that ensure ultra-fast transfer speeds. Not to mention, it supports the conventional USB Type-A ports. You also get twin LAN ports with an onboard Intel 2.5 Gb Ethernet port, allowing for fast transfer speeds.
- Dual PCIe NVMe M.2 slots
- RTL8117 management controller
- 12+2 VRM power stages + multi-GPU support
- Dual Thunderbolt 3 Type-C ports
- ASUS Control Center Express software
- Accommodates latest 10th Gen Intel Core processors
- Super-fast data transfer speeds with Thunderbolt 3
- Convenient IT management and monitoring
- No built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
5. GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master
The GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master has a lot to offer, supporting AMD 2nd and 3rd Gen Ryzen and Ryzen with Radeon Vega Graphics Processors for the ultimate workstation performance belonging among the greatest X570 motherboards.
Furthermore, the X570 boasts Ultra-Fast NVMe PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2 with Triple Thermal Guards, allowing you to get fast data transfer speeds with SSDs. The Smart Fan 5 technology gives you full control over the motherboard’s fan system with hybrid fan headers, including FAN STOP and noise detection capabilities.
And for those who like to add a touch of coolness to their workstation, the X570 supports RGB Fusion 2.0 with a multi-zone LED to give your workstation the looks it deserves but is it among the greatest RGB motherboards?
On the audio front, the ESS SABRE DAC audio suite, combined with Realtek’s ALC1220 Codec, ensures a thrilling audio experience with surround sound.
As for connectivity, there’s an onboard Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax chip, in addition to BT 5 with 2 AORUS Antenna. Moreover, the motherboard supports USB 3.1 Type C and Type A in addition to DDR4 Memory support.
- 4 ultra-fast NVMe PCIe M.2 slots with triple thermal guards
- Smart Fan 5 system with FAN STOP
- RGB Fusion 2.0 with multi-zone LED
- Intel WiFi 6 802.11ax + BT 5 + Realtek 2.5GbE + Intel Gigabit LAN connectivity
- Compatible with AMD 2nd and 3rd Gen Ryzen processors
- RGB lighting
- Excellent audio performance with latest Realtek codecs
- Onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Supports ultra-fast SSDs
- No thunderbolt USB headers
6. GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX
The GIGABYTE X399 has what it takes to be among the highest-rated workstation motherboards out there with its high-end components and versatile connectivity choices.
The motherboard accommodates AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors that give you ultra-fast processing speeds and unmatched multi-thread performance for your workstation. Further, the X399 supports 4-way graphics with Dual Armor and Ultra Durable Design, providing you with an excellent graphics experience.
You also get 8 DIMM slots with Quad Channel ECC/ Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4 Memory support. By the way, you can overclock your RAM for a slight performance boost. Also, the motherboard has 3 PCIe M.2 slots so that you can install the latest NVMe SSDs for fast data transfer speeds.
With RGB Fusion 2.0, you can customize your motherboard’s style with Multi-Zone LED Light that supports digital and RGB LED.
As for audio, the X399 takes it to the next level with ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio that’s enabled by Smart Headphone AMP and WIMA audio capacitors. On that note, the Smart Fan 5 cooling system incorporates multiple temperature sensors and hybrid fan headers so you can take full control of all the fans on your motherboard.
Lastly, the dual rear and front USB Type C interface enable you to transfer large files at lightning-fast speeds. The Dual Intel GbE LAN chip with cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator software paves the way for that by providing you with a reliable and fast internet connection and onboard Wi-Fi chip.
- 3 PCIe M.2 slots
- Smart Fan 5
- USB Type C support
- Dual Intel GbE LAN chip with cFosSpeed + Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
- RGB FUSION 2.0 with multi-zone LED
- Compatible with AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors
- 4-way graphics support
- Excellent audio quality
- Multi-GPU setups for superior graphics performance
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
- Weak Bluetooth antenna
7. ASUS WS Z390 PRO
The ASUS WS Z390 PRO is designed specifically for use in the workstation, supporting the powerful 9th Gen Intel Core processors with Socket 1151.
This motherboard’s overclocking performance is out of this world. With 5-Way Optimization, Auto-Tuning, and FanXpert 4, the Z390 features automatic overclocking profiles that allow you to maximize your workstation’s performance without frying its components.
Furthermore, the Z390 PRO supports 4-way graphics with NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossfireX compatibility. You can also install fast NVMe SSDs with dual M.2 and U.2 slots.
ASUS ensured that the Z390 PRO would appeal to audiophiles by delivering 8-channel HD audio thanks to the ASUS exclusive Realtek S1220A with Crystal Sound3 and DTS Headphone:X.
Another notable feature of the Z390 PRO is its innovative OptiMem II technology, which ensures that it maps memory signal pathways throughout multiple PCB layers to minimize vias and reduce crosstalk by adding shielding zones.
The Z390 supports AURA Sync RGB lighting, allowing you to synchronize your workstation’s lighting with other AURA-enabled devices. And when it comes to ports, the motherboard supports Thunderbolt 3, employing an add-on card for ultra-fast transfer speeds. You can also use the mainstream USB 3.1 Gen2 ports.
- Socket 1151 with M.2 and U.2 slots
- 5-Way Optimization with FanXpert 4 and OptiMem II
- Realtek S1220A with Crystal Sound3 and DTS Headphone:X
- 4-way graphics support
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 + Thunderbolt 3 headers + Intel Gigabit LAN
- Accommodates 9th Gen Intel Core processors
- Outstanding overclocking performance with automatic overclocking profiles
- Has a fast Thunderbolt 3 interface
- Multi-GPU NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossfireX support
- Compatible with high-speed NVMe SSDs
- No onboard Wi-Fi chip
8. ASRock Z370 extreme4
The Final workstation motherboard on our list is the ASRock Z370 extreme4. This motherboard is very reasonably priced, but it doesn’t sacrifice much on features when compared to higher-end motherboards.
The Z370 boasts a Socket 1151 that supports 8th Gen Intel Core processors, giving your workstation the brains it deserves. With a Digital PWM and 12-phase VRM, the CPU’s current flow is fairly regulated for extra protection.
With the multi-way graphics support, the Z370 can rock NVIDIAQuad SLI or AMD 3-Way CrossFireX setups like a champ. It also supports DDR4 memory with overclocking capabilities that can get you a speed of 4333 MHz.
When it comes to audio performance, the Z370 can deliver 7.1 CH HD Audio thanks to Realtek’s ALC1220 Audio Codec that supports Purity Sound 4 & DTS Connect. Moreover, the Z370 has 2 Ultra M.2 slots, including a PCIe Gen3 x4 slot and a SATA3 slot. It’s also equipped with eight additional SATA3 slots.
The GIGABYTE Z370 is Intel Optane Memory Ready, giving you the best of both worlds when it comes to the speeds of SSDs and HDDs’ high capacities. It’s also worth noting that this motherboard has two USB 3.1 Gen2 ports, including one USB Type-C port and a Type-A port. It’s also equipped with nine USB 3.1 Gen1 ports.
- Multi-way graphics support
- 2 Ultra M.2 slots (PCIe Gen3 x4 + SATA3)
- RGB LED lighting
- Digital PWM and 12 power phases
- 2 USB 3.1 Gen2 + 9 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports with Type C support
- Accommodates 8th Gen Intel Core processors
- Compatible with NVIDIAQuad SLI and AMD 3-Way CrossFireX setups
- Intel Optane Memory Ready
- Compatible with high-speed SSDs
- Impressive audio performance
- Doesn’t support 9th or 10th Gen Intel Core processors
- No onboard Wi-Fi connectivity
Best Motherboard Workstations (FAQ)
Do Motherboards Affect Workstation Performance?
Motherboards affect your workstation’s performance in two ways: the types of processors it can accommodate and its overclocking capabilities. The motherboard’s CPU socket determines whether you can install a high-end CPU or not. Also, if the motherboard doesn’t provide adequate cooling, you won’t be able to overclock your CPU fully.
What Should I Look for When Buying a Workstation Motherboard?
Here are some of the things to look for before deciding on a motherboard for your workstation:
- Form factor
- CPU socket type
- Number and type of RAM slots
- Number of USB ports and their generations
- Connectivity solutions
- Support for multi-way graphics
- Overclocking performance and cooling capabilities
- Number of PCI slots
Does a Workstation Motherboard Affect RAM Speed?
Yes, your motherboard directly influences your RAM speed, depending on the type of slots it has. Some motherboards give you the option to overclock your RAM speed from 2133MHz to 3000MHz if it has performance-grade DIMM slots. Not to mention that with more slots, you can install more RAM sticks.
In the end, to expand your knowledge check out: