With the overwhelming numbers of options on the market, finding the best motherboard for Ryzen 7 1700x can be a little difficult. Not all motherboards support first-generation Ryzen CPUs, making it even harder for you to find a good choice.
Well, luckily for you, I’m here to save the day. I went on an expedition to find the best motherboards for Ryzen 7 1700x, and I didn’t settle until I found the best of the best. So, here’s everything I was able to find.
Best Ryzen 7 1700x Motherboards (Our Review)
At a Glance:
- ASUS ROG Crosshair VII HERO
- GIGABYTE B450 AORUS Elite V2
- ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
- ASRock B450M PRO4
- GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2
- ASUS Prime X470-Pro
- MSI TOMAHAWK MAX
1. ASUS ROG Crosshair VII HERO
The ASUS ROG Crosshair VII HERO is one of the best motherboards for the Ryzen 7 1700x on the market. Not only is it compatible with all first-generation Ryzen processors, but it’s also compatible with second-generation ones, thanks to its AM4 socket and AMD X470 chipset.
First and foremost, the ROG Crosshair VII HERO uses five-way optimization to intelligently control the unit’s cooling and overclocking according to your usage. The Fan Xpert 4 software can automatically adjust the motherboard’s overclocking to keep up with your tasks and always provides smooth performance, even with external clocks.
If you have a very aesthetically-pleasing setup, this motherboard can boost it with its Aura Sync technology to control RGB LEDs. It comes with a variety of presets that you can choose from according to your color palette.
Memory-wise, this motherboard can support dual-channel RAM up to 64 GB. Additionally, it has six SATA slots and dual M.2 connectors to easily connect the motherboard to your storage devices while guaranteeing a high transfer rate.
For expansion and connectivity, the Crosshair VII HERO houses two PCIe 3.0 x16 ports and one PCIe 3.0 x8, in addition to the excellent selection of USB ports. Also, it comes with a pre-mounted I/O shield, which is a nice touch from ASUS.
Lastly, it boasts an eight-channel audio output with the ROG SupremeFX S1220 chipset for high-quality audio output.
- Offers an excellent selection of overclocking features
- Supports AI overclocking and cooling via five-way optimization
- Excellent VRM to ensure stable USB connections
- Has eight USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports as well as Type-A and Type-C ports on the rear panel alone
- Offers a variety of USB ports for easy connectivity
- Excellent performance with automatic overclocking
- Supports Aura Sync RGB technology
- High-definition audio with SupremeFX S1220 chipset
- A little pricey for what it offers
2. GIGABYTE B450 AORUS Elite V2
GIGABYTE is a brand known for delivering high-quality motherboards at budget-friendly prices, and the B450 AORUS Elite V2 is no exception to that rule. Housing an AM4 socket and an AMD B450 chipset, this motherboard can support all Ryzen processors from first to third generations, which is a pretty inclusive and future-proof range.
To ensure fair power distribution among all components, the AORUS Elite V2 boasts an 8+2-phase VRM. It also supports AMD CrossFire multi-GPU technology, which is a huge advantage for gamers.
Moreover, it comes with Smart Fan 5 technology, which means the motherboard has six temperature sensors that adjust the cooling system in the most optimal way possible to prevent overheating. Also, such a design guarantees energy-efficiency because the fans automatically adjust based on your usage.
This motherboard can support ECC memory, but it runs in non-ECC mode. Additionally, it can support dual-channel RAM of a capacity up to 128 GB, which isn’t easy to find in 1700x-compatible motherboards, giving this unit an edge over its counterparts.
Ports-wise, the AORUS Elite V2 comes with two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, but one of them runs at x4. It also comes with two M.2 ports with a thermal guard as an extra layer of protection, in addition to one HDMI port and one DVI-port. Not to mention, it has a decent collection of USB ports on the rear panel and onboard.
- Supports AMD CrossFire multi-GPU technology
- Smart Fan 5 technology with six temperature sensors
- 8+2-phase power design for optimum power distribution
- Compatible with first, second, and third-generation Ryzen processors with its B450 chipset and AM4 socket
- Accepts up to 128 GB of RAM for a future-proof construction
- Comes at a budget-friendly price
- Supports RGB FUSION 2.0
- Excellent cooling system
- Top-notch performance
- BIOS is difficult to deal with and crashes sometimes
3. ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
Moving on to another excellent motherboard that’s compatible with the Ryzen 7 1700x CPU, the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING is one that offers top-notch performance without breaking the bank.
Considering it houses an AM4 socket and an AMD B450 chipset, this motherboard also supports all second and third-generation Ryzen processors, so it can stay with you for years upon years, even if you upgrade your CPU.
To effectively prevent overheating and automatically control overclocking using AI, the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING supports five-way optimizations. It also boasts Fan Xpert 4 software, like the previous ASUS motherboard, to ensure energy efficiency and coolness at all times.
Even though this motherboard comes with 6 SATA slots and two M.2 ports, SATA5 and SATA6 get disabled when you connect a storage device through the M.2 ports, which is a huge letdown.
Nonetheless, the STRIX B450-F GAMING makes up for that with its incredible selection of USB ports, including both Type-A and Type-C options. It also has two PCIe 3.0 x16 connectors.
Because this is a gaming motherboard, it offers top-notch features like Aura Sync RGB lights to allow you to control the LEDs and choose any color or preset you want. Additionally, it supports ASUS LANGuard and GameFirst technologies. It also comes with a pre-mounted I/O shield and supports HDMI and DP ports to fit right into any gaming setup.
- Supports Aura Sync RGB lights
- Compatible with first, second, and third-generation Ryzen CPUs
- Comes with ASUS LANGuard and GameFirst technologies
- Has five-way optimization to control overclocking and cooling
- Houses a SupremeFX S1220A audio chipset with eight channels for excellent audio output
- Offers good value for the money
- Has both Type-C and Type-A USB ports on the rear panel alone
- Supports HDMI and DP ports
- Comes with a pre-mounted I/O shield
- SATA ports aren’t very reliable
4. ASRock B450M PRO4
The ASRock B450M PRO4 is a motherboard you can’t go wrong with when you’re seeking an excellent unit that’s compatible with the Ryzen 7 1700x CPU. This motherboard ensures the security of your data because it supports ECC memory, which can be used to detect and fix some errors, so it’s an extra layer of protection.
While we’re on the subject of memory, the B450M PRO4 supports dual-channel RAM with a capacity of up to 64 GB. You can connect to your storage device through one of the four SATA slots or the dual M.2 connectors.
This motherboard boasts an AM4 socket and an AMD Promontory B450 chipset, and together, they can support first, second, and third-generation Ryzen processors. In other words, this motherboard can live through a CPU upgrade, making it a reliable, future-proof option.
For expansion, the ASRock B450M PRO4 offers just one PCIe 3.0 x16 port, but it also offers one PCIe 2.0 x16 port. To be honest, this unit doesn’t provide the best selection of PCIe ports, so keep that in mind.
However, it makes up for the lack of PCIe ports by offering four USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB ports, one Type-A port, one Type-C port, and two USB 2.0 ports on the rear panel. It also offers two USB 2.0 headers and one USB 3.1 Gen 1 header onboard.
- Comes with a Realtek ALC892 audio chipset with 7.1 channels for excellent audio
- Supports ECC memory
- Micro ATX form factor
- Had HDMI, DVI-D, and D-Sub graphics outputs for connecting multiple external monitors
- A pleasing selection of USB ports on the rear panel and onboard
- Supports AMD StoreMI technology that provides a faster data transfer from memory devices
- Perfect for multi-monitor setups
- Not suitable for heavy usage
5. GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2
Who said you have to spend a fortune to find a good motherboard that’s compatible with your Ryzen 7 1700x CPU? Not GIGABYTE! The B450M DS3H V2 is an excellent pick for any Ryzen owner because it’s compatible with first, second, and third-generation Ryzen processors.
The GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2 has a micro ATC form factor, which isn’t a surprise considering it’s a budget-friendly unit. However, don’t let the smaller size fool you into thinking that its connective options are limited because that’s far from the truth.
In fact, this motherboard offers one PCIe 3.0 x16 port, four SATA slots, and one M.2 connector, which is good rough for a budget motherboard. It also comes with four USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports and four USB 2.0 ports on the rear panel. These ports should be more than enough for an average user.
Memory-wise, the GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2 accepts up to 128 GB of RAM over its four memory slots, which is a huge advantage. As I mentioned before, finding a motherboard that supports up to 128 GB isn’t very common among 1700x-compatible units, so don’t take that for granted.
Lastly, this motherboard supports AMD StoreMI technology, which makes for an excellent transfer rate by mirroring the files you use most into an SSD memory, which, as a result, accelerates your memory.
- Has a micro ATX form factor
- Supports AMD StoreMI technology for accelerating memory
- 4+2 VRM for reliable power distribution among connected components
- Has RGB FUSION for controlling LEDs
- Very affordable price point
- Offers a good selection of USB ports
- Supports up to 128 GB of RAM
- Decent performance
- Only has two fan headers, so not the best cooling
6. ASUS Prime X470-Pro
Boasting an X470 chipset, the ASUS Prime X470-Pro is one of the most reliable 1700x-compatible motherboards on the market.
As you can probably guess, this ASUS motherboard features five-way optimization. It can easily control the cooling system and overclocking to fine-tune the motherboard to your tasks. For example, if you’re running heavy-duty apps or games, it adjusts the system’s clocks to prove you with the smoother performance possible.
To further ensure the prevention of overheating, this motherboard comes with Fan Xpert 4 software and M.2 heatsinks that can quickly reduce the unit’s temperature. You can also fine-tune your system’s LEDs to fit into your setup with its Aura Sync technology that provides you with full control over your lights.
For all the gamers out there, the ASUS Prime X470-Pro houses a Realtek S1220 audio chipset featuring Crystal Sound 3 over eight audio channels, ensuring an excellent sound output that can immerse you into your games.
The ASUS Prime X470-Pro can accommodate up to 64 GB of DDR4 RAM. As for expansion, the motherboard has two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots, making for the speedy performance of bus devices. You can also connect the motherboard to your storage devices via its six SATA ports and its M.2 port.
Also, its PCIe ports have metal framings to support them when plugging in heavy-duty GPUs and ensure their durability in the long run.
- Realtek S1220 chipset results in a high-definition audio output
- Has fice USB 3.1 Gen 1 on the rear panel, in addition to Type-A and Type-C ports
- Supports Aura Sync technology for controlling the RGB lights
- Features five-way optimization system
- SafeSlot for protecting the PCIe slots against wear and tear
- Features an eight-channel audio
- Houses a decent selection of ports
- Excellent cooling system with M.2 heatsinks t
- Too expensive for what it offers
7. MSI TOMAHAWK MAX
Last on this list of the best motherboard for the Ryzen 7 1700x CPU is the MSI TOMAHAWK MAX. This motherboard has everything you might be looking for in a motherboard and then some. You’ll also be pleased to hear that it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!
If overheating is a constant concern of yours and you never seem to find a motherboard that battles that, the SI TOMAHAWK MAX is the one you’re seeking with its heavy-plated, large heatsinks on the VRM. The VRM will ensure a good distribution of power among the connected components without releasing heat energy because of the heatsinks!
This motherboard supports almost all Ryzen processors ranging from first to third-generation ones, so you can opt for a newer CPU at any time without having to throw away your motherboard.
The MSI TOMAHAWK MAXcan accept a RAM of up to 64 GB in capacity. You can connect storage devices through the M.2 slot or one of the 6 SATA slots, but keep in mind that SATA5 and SATA6 will be disabled if you use the M.2 slot. It also houses a DVI-D port and an HDMI port for easily connecting an external monitor.
Lastly, to ensure a high-quality audio output, this motherboard uses the Realtek ALC892 chipset and 7.1 channels.
- Houses an excellent selection of USB ports, including Type-A and Type-C ones
- Uses a 7.1-channel Realtek ALC892 for producing an excellent audio output
- Supports StoreMI technology for faster data transfer from memory
- Has heavy-plated and large heatsinks over the VRM
- Unmatchable cooling system to completely prevent overheating
- Easy BIOS recovery without CPU or memory
- Good value for the money
- Easy-to-control LEDs via Mystic Light app
- Mounting screws don’t come with the unit
Ryzen 7 1700x Motherboards (FAQ)
What Is the Best Motherboard for Ryzen 7 1700x?
While the choices are limited, you can still find excellent Ryzen 7 1700x motherboards. My favorite is the ASUS ROG Crosshair VII HERO because it offers top-notch features that are hard to match. You can also go for the GIGABYTE B450 AORUS Elite V2 or ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING.
Do All Motherboards Support Ryzen 7 1700x?
No. In fact, finding high-quality motherboards that support first-generation Ryzen 7 processors could be a little harder than you might think. Be careful before making a final purchase that your motherboard of choice can actually accommodate your Ryzen 7 1700x.
How to Double-Check that a Motherboard Supports Ryzen 7 1700x?
Look at the specs! Check the manufacturer’s website and look for the motherboard you’ve got your eye on to ensure it supports first-generation Ryzen processors. Alternatively, contact the company yourself. Don’t take any risks when spending hundreds of dollars on a motherboard, and make sure you’re getting the right one.