As someone who has a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU myself, I know how difficult it can get to find a compatible motherboard that features new technologies without costing an arm and a leg. So, I went on a research-based journey to bring you this list of the best motherboards for Ryzen 7 1700 CPUs. Keep reading to learn more!
Best Ryzen 7 1700 Motherboards (Our Review)
1. ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
I’m kicking off this list with the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING. With an AMD AM4 socket and an AMD B450 chipset, this motherboard can accept first, second, and third-generation Ryzen processors, so it’s quite future-proof if you plan to update your CPU in the long run.
Memory-wise, the ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING accepts dual-channel DDR4 RAMs. It has dual M.2 ports, two PCIe 3.0 x16 ports, and six SATA3 connectors making for a speedy data transfer.
What’s more, this ASUS unit offers five-way optimization that automatically controls its overclocking and cooling system for effective performance at all times. Also, if you prefer overclocking your RAM and CPU yourself, this unit makes the process a breeze.
Considering this is a gaming motherboard, you’d expect excellent audio output, and the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING is up for the challenge. It has a ROG-exclusive audio chipset, the SupremeFX S1220A, that results in high-quality audio, especially considering that it has eight audio channels!
For connectivity, this motherboard offers a wide selection of USB ports onboard and on the rear panel, including three Type-A ports and a Type-C one.
- Comes with an I/O shield pre-installed
- Has a good heating system
- Offers five-way optimization
- SupremeFX S1220A audio chip for high-quality output
- Features an ATX form factor
- Excellent performance when paired with the Ryzen 7 1700
- Modern and easy-to-control Aura Sync RGB lighting
- Has a wide selection of USB ports
- High build quality
- Can’t use SATA5 and SATA6 when the M.2 port is used
2. GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2
If you’re in the market for a budget-friendly motherboard that can accommodate your Ryzen 7 1700, it doesn’t get much better than the GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2 unit. It supports first, second, and third-generation CPUs, so it’ll easily handle your 1700 with no issues.
The motherboard has a micro ATX form factor, so it’s smaller in size than an average motherboard, but it makes no sacrifices when it comes to performance. It also houses an AMD AM4 socket and an AMD B450 chipset, which are two excellent components.
For connecting your motherboard to your RAM, it accepts up to 128 GB, which is a considerable advantage over most other products on this list. Additionally, it supports dual-channel DDR4 RAMs for speedy data transfer. The GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2 has one PCIe 3.0 x16 port, four SATA slots, and one M.2 connector.
Even though this unit boasts Smart Fan 5 technology with temperature sensors, it only has two hybrid fan headers. While only having two fans might be acceptable considering its small size, overheating is technology’s worst enemy, and it’s not worth taking the risk. In other words, if you’re a heavy-duty user, this might not be the one for you.
- Micro-ATX form factor for a smaller build
- Boasts a 4+2 VRM control for fair power distribution among components
- RGB Fusion has seven color options
- Has GIGABYTE App Center for installing utilities and drivers easily
- A budget-friendly option
- Accepts up to 128 GB of RAM
- Offers a decent selection of USB ports for convenience connectivities
- Supports1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen CPUs
- Not the most effective cooling system
- Not for heavy usage
3. ASRock B450M PRO4
ASRock is a brand known for making high-quality motherboards at budget-friendly prices, and the B450M PRO4 is no exception. This affordable motherboard has an AM4 socket and AMD Promontory B450 chipset, meaning it supports all Ryzen CPUs out of the box, from 1st up to 3rd gen models, including the Ryzen 7 1700, of course!
My absolute favorite thing about the ASRock B450 PRO4 is that it supports both ECC and non-ECC memory types. ECC memory support is a welcomed-addition because it works as an extra protection layer over your data, and it’s future-proof.
While we’re on the subject of memory support, this motherboard has one PCIe 3.0 x16 port, four SATA slots, and one Ultra M.2 connector for a reliable data transfer. Additionally, it accepts up to 64 GB of dual-channel RAM.
Because this motherboard has a form factor of micro ATX, I didn’t have the highest expectations for its selection ports. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it offers a good variation with both Type-A and Type-C USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports on the rear panel alone.
- Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX
- Has ASRock Live Update and App Shop to install desired software easily
- Uses Digi Power design with nine power phases
- Has a micro ATX form factor
- Budget-friendly price with great value for the money
- Excellent cooling system
- Supports ECC and non-ECC memory
- High-quality build
- Not the best BIOS software
4. MSI TOMAHAWK MAX
Supporting first, second, and third-generation Ryzen CPUs, the MSI TOMAHAWK MAX is an excellent pick for your Ryzen 7 1700 processor. Even though it has average basic components like an AM4 socket, a B450 chipset, and an ATX form factor, this motherboard offers some unique features that set it aside from its competitors.
This MSI motherboard is perfect for heavy-users because it has a unique cooling system with heavy-plated heatsinks larger in size than those on an average motherboard. This ensures effective cooling and equal distribution of heat over the whole ATX design.
Regarding memory, the TOMAHAWK MAX accepts dual-channel DDR4 RAMs, up to 64 GB in capacity. It has one PCIe 3.0 x16 port, one M.2 connector, and 6 SATA slots. To be fair, those are not the most impressive features out there, but they’re good enough for day-to-day usage.
If you love RGB lights on your computer, this motherboard supports the Mystic Light app that you can use to choose the color or effect that best suits your setup.
Lastly, the TOMAHAWK MAX offers a versatile selection of USB ports, including USB 3.2 Gen 2 in Type-A and Type-C, among many other ports.
- Easy-to-use BIOS with EZ and Advanced modes
- Supports Mystic Light app
- Excellent cooling system with heavy-plated and large heatsinks
- Supports 1st up to 3rd generation Ryzen CPUs
- Good variation of USB ports
- Easy to install
- Has a flash BIOS button
- Comes with a comprehensive instruction manual that’s easy to follow
- Only accepts a maximum of 64 GB RAM
- SATA5 and SATA6 ports are unavailable when installing a device through the M.2 port
5. ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING
Another ASUS ROG motherboard compatible with the Ryzen 7 1700 CPU is the STRIX X370-F GAMING, considering it has an AM4 socket and an X370 chipset. As you can see from the name, this motherboard is powerful enough to handle gaming without any hiccups.
Much like the previous ASUS ROG product, this one offers five-way optimization that uses AI to overclock the CPU and memory automatically. It can also adjust the cooling system depending on the tasks you’re running or your usage for the most energy efficiency.
If you’re a fan of having a colorful setup, the ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING also features AURA Sync RGB technology that lets you control the lights and pick from a wide selection of effects.
Besides supporting dual-channel RAM up to a capacity of 64 GB, this motherboard features two PCIe 3.0 x16 ports, eight SATA slots, and two M.2 ports for the most convenient expansion possible without sacrificing high data transfer speed.
Lastly, my favorite thing about this unit is how many USB ports it offers. From six USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports to a Type-A and a Type-C one, you have everything you could need in a gaming motherboard.
- Boasts ROG SupremeFX High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A audio chipset for high-quality output
- Features five-way optimization for AI-based cooling and overclocking
- SafeSlot for metal framing to protect PCIe slots
- Has a DIGI+ VRM for regulation voltage among all components
- A large number of USB ports for easy connectivity with other devices
- Has AURA Sync RGB lighting technology with user-friendly controls
- Houses a large number of USB ports
- Excellent build quality and high durability
- A little on the pricey side
- Only supports 64 GB of RAM
6. MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
As the name implies, the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon is an excellent pick if you’re on the lookout for a gaming motherboard. It has everything the previous MSI product had and then some, so if you’re looking for a premium pick, you’ve found it.
The motherboard has an AM4 socket and an X370 chipset, making it compatible with all Ryzen processors, even the Ryzen 7 1700 one.
The Gaming Pro Carbon by MSI has an excellent cooling system with multiple layers. Firstly, it has gaming heatsinks for maximum cooling. Secondly, the MSI fan headers can detect whether the runs are using DC or PWM and then automatically adjust their operation accordingly.
Because durability is an essential factor in any gaming motherboard, this one has protection over PCIe ports, VGA cards, and M.2 connectors to enhance their longevity.
While we’re on the subject of ports, this unit houses two M.2 connectors, two PCIe 3.0 x16 ports, and 6 SATA slots for convenient connection to your memory device. It can accept dual-channel RAM up to 64 GB of capacity.
Lastly, it has a versatile selection of USB ports, including four USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports and one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port, among many others.
- Heatsinks keep the motherboard cool even during hardcore gaming
- Supports Mystic Light RGB with over 16.8 million colors
- Fans can detect how they’re running and adjust their operation automatically
- Boosts gaming audio for an immersive gaming experience
- Has protection layers over VGA cards, M.2 connectors, and PCIe ports
- Offers a versatile selection of USB ports
- Highly durable with a premium build quality
- Supports all Ryzen processors
- Quite expensive for the features it offers
- Only accepts 64 GB of RAM
7. ASUS Prime X370-Pro
Another ASUS motherboard that’s perfect for Ryzen 7 1700 CPUs is the Prime X370-Pro. This motherboard combines every unique feature you’ve seen so far into this one unit, setting it aside from its counterparts.
As an ASUS motherboard, you should guess by now that it features five-way optimization. As I’ve mentioned before, this feature controls the cooling system and automatically overclocks the CPU to fit your usage. The automatic overclocking is quite energy-efficient, too!
This motherboard supports ECC memory, which is a huge advantage. You can rest assured that your data is protected against corruption. Additionally, it boasts a 5X Protection III feature, which protects the motherboard’s hardware from electrical damage.
Memory-wise, this unit accepts up to 64 GB of dual-channel DDR4 RAM. It features two PCIe 3.0 x16 ports, eight SATA slots, and three M.2 connectors for speedy data transfer.
To easily connect external devices to your motherboard, it has a wide variety of USB ports, including two USB 3.1 Gen 2ports, five USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, and one USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port on the rear panel alone! It also has one USB 3.1 Gen 1 connector, one USB 3.2 Gen 1 connector, and two USB 2.0 connectors onboard.
- Features five-way optimization to automatically adjust the CPU’s clocking and the cooling system
- Houses Digi+ Power Control to enhance efficiency and stability
- Supports ECC memory for an added layer of protection
- Has ASUS SafeSlot for enhancing retention and resistance of PCIe slots
- Boasts an Extreme Quiet Mode for silent operation during nighttime
- Features 5X Protection III to protect the motherboard’s hardware
- Supports ASUS Aura Sync for user-friendly control over the lights
- Realtek S1220A High Definition Audio CODEC audio chipset with eight audio channels
- On the pricier side of the spectrum
8. ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
Last on this list is the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero, which is one worth your consideration if you’re seeking the highest quality out there. This premium unit offers everything you might need in your next motherboard for Ryzen 7 1700, from extensive connectivity options to lighting controls.
For starters, it offers multiple excellent features, including two M.2 ports, two PCIe 3.0 x16 ports, and eight SATA connectors. That’s not all; it also provides one M.2 port that’s Wi-Fi ready! Besides, it can accept dual-channel RAM capacity up to 64 GB.
If you don’t want the PC to ruin the overall look of your room or office, you’ll love that this unit features AURA Sync RGB lighting control. It lets you customize effects so that you can customize the RGB lights according to your setup!
Besides featuring five-way optimization that controls the cooling system, the ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero has a ROG Water Cooling Zone to further ensure that your PC will stay cool at all times.
For the best audio output possible, this ASUS motherboard features SupremeFX technology and a SupremeFX S1220 CODEC audio chipset with eight audio channels, ensuring a clear sound for immersive gameplay.
Did I mention that it has eight USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports? Because it does.
- Features ROG Water Cooling Zone
- Uses five-way optimization for automatically adjusting the cooling system and overclocking
- Excellent audio output with SupremeFX technology and the SupremeFX S1220 audio chipset
- AURA Sync RGB lets you control the lights and customize your own effects
- Houses a Wi-Fi-ready M.2 port
- Includes a large number of USB ports for connecting it to external devices
- Excellent cooling system
- Premium-quality build and performance
Best Ryzen 7 1700 Motherboards (FAQ)
What Is the Best Motherboard for Ryzen 7 1700?
That depends on what you’re looking for in the motherboard and on your usage. Generally, the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING is an excellent choice all around. And if you want something more affordable, you should consider the GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2.
Do All Motherboards Support Ryzen 7 1700?
Unfortunately, no. The Ryzen 7 1700 is a first-generation Ryzen processor, so it’s a little old. Make sure you read the motherboard’s specs and double-check that it’s compatible with first-generation Ryzen CPUs, and you should be good to go.
How to Pick a Motherboard for Ryzen 7 1700?
Most importantly, make sure that it’s compatible with the Ryzen 7 1700 CPU. After that, try to go for a motherboard for Ryzen 7 with a large number of ports and the newest technologies. When buying a motherboard, you’re expecting it to last for years or even decades, so make sure it’s future-proof!
In the end, check out other top motherboard list: